Monday, August 2, 2010

Taper Time

Years back one of my kayaking buddies uttered the phrase, "sit back and watch the comedy unfold" as we were floating through slack water between rapids. He'd usually say this when we were on a river while observing something out of the ordinary about to happen. As it stands right now, I feel like I did then, back on some slow moving water waiting for the next thing... Waiting for the comedy to unfold.

It is taper time. My last large runs were the week before last. The past past week was a VERY light 40 miles. This week will include more miles but not a whole lot more. I'm feeling better every day. More rested and stronger and with a lot less aches and pains on every run. It is nice.

Less than three weeks now until the Leadville 100 trail run. I feel ready. The week that I spent up in Leadville running and reconnoitering the course was a great investment in time an energy and a huge boost to my confidence. A huge boost.

All of the heavy lifting is done. Now all I have to do is run just enough to try to maintain some level of fitness while at the same time avoiding injury. I remember just two months or so ago when I was staring down the mileages for June and July. I remember thinking that if I could just get through June that July would take care of itself. Not that July would be any easier but I just felt like I could get through June then the the last hard month would be doable.

It was.

Sitting here it just surprises me how it all looked then compared to now, on the other side. It is neat.

I am really excited to go up to Leadville on the 19th. This time is going to be different, I know. But still, as Chris used to say, I'm just sitting back and watching the comedy unfold.

No comments:

Post a Comment